If I Am Unable To Work Out, Can I Still Lose Weight On Nutrisystem?

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 0 comments

I sometimes hear from people who don't intend to do any exercise on the Nutrisystem diet but who are still hoping to lose a reasonable amount of weight. And sometimes, it is not because these individuals don't want to exercise, it is because they have some limitations that prevents this type of physical activity.
I heard from someone who said: "last month, I severely broke my leg. I am going to be in a cast for a couple of months, so exercise is out of the question. I've needed to lose about twenty pounds for quite some time, but ever since I've been even more inactive because of my leg, I've put on even more weight. I'm interested in starting Nutrisystem. But I am worried that I won't be successful since I can't work out. Is this a realistic worry? Can you lose weight on Nutrisystem without exercise?" I will answer this question below.
Although I do know of people who have had a good deal of success on this diet without exercise, I don't want to rely on this in my answer. Instead, I want to take a look at some numbers in order to prove my point. Most people know that saving 3,500 calories over a period of time means that you will lose one pound. And yes, this calculation is without taking in any exercise into account.
So, if you consider that with Nutrisystem, you average around 1,200 calories per day, you can use this to get an estimate as to how many calories you might be saving. First though, you'd need a rough estimate of how many calories you take in when you are not dieting. This is a question that I could not answer, but I can take a guess. To make this easy, I will use a figure from a 2003 USDA (United States Department Of Agriculture) survey which indicated that the average person consumes about 2,700 calories per day.
Since this figure is an average that includes both men and women, I'll lower it a little bit since there was a woman in question. I'll use a figure of 2,300 pounds per day which is conservative. So, if you are taking in an average of around 1,200 calories on the diet, that saves you about 1,100 calories per day. But to make these calculations easy (and to give you a little wiggle room,) let's round that to 1,000 calories per day saved.
Over the course of a week, that's a savings of 7,000 calories or about two pounds. A weekly two pounds weight loss is the equivalent of about eight pounds per month, or about 96 pounds per year. In this case, a twenty pound weight loss would not be at all unreasonable at that rate. And once her leg healed, she could always add in some light exercise. Even walking would help. Remember that any additional calories that you burn with even light exercise will count toward the calorie deficit that contributes to weight loss.
Of course, common sense tells you that results vary depending on the person and the compliance, but I think that it is possible to get decent results on Nutrisystem if you can't exercise, although common sense would tell you that exercise might mean quicker results.


0 comments:

Post a Comment