It's Never Too Late to Get Back Into Shape!

Posted by Unknown On Thursday, April 11, 2013 0 comments

Out of shape? Overweight? Believe it or not, it's far easier than you may think to get back into shape... and not just a slight improvement, but to start feeling good again and to sleep better, have more energy and start enjoying a more active lifestyle.
Here's my story on how I did it. I'm age 62 and I've been in pretty good shape for most of my life, not an athlete by any means, but always active and healthy. Anyway a few years ago I was seriously injured in an accident and I never fully recovered.
In spite of over a year of daily physical therapy and countless Cortisone shots, I was unable to lift my right hand above my ear. With near-constant back pain, I had difficulty in doing even the most of simple tasks; like washing my hair, tucking in a shirt or threading a belt through the belt loops on my pants was nearly impossible for me to do.
As a result, I became discouraged, lethargic and depressed... and to make matters worse, I got into eating more for pleasure and taste than eating healthy nutritious meals; and of course I ended up with the inevitable side effect of rapid and serious weight gain.
Needless to say, it was a downward spiral and before I realized it, I was really out of shape and 45 pounds overweight.
But then a funny thing happened... I found an old photo of when I was much younger and in good shape. And as I looked at it and thought about it, I remembered how much I enjoyed my active lifestyle back then and the pleasure that I got from riding a bike, hiking in the hills, swimming and exercising.
So I did what had seemed impossible... I started walking more & more on a daily basis; and then I even dusted off the cobwebs and dead leaves off a set of barbells and dumb bells that had been sitting outside (and unused) for several years... and started working out with my weights again.
Now to be quite honest, the next day after working out I was pretty sore and stiff... but, and this may sound strange, it felt good. I had used and stretched muscles that had been inactive for a long time... and they were definitely letting me know about it.
Well, to make a long story short, this was a major turning point in my life. Inspired by the fact that I had pushed myself to the point of actually feeling endorphins surge through my body, I gave my aching muscles a day off to recover (as all Pro Trainers will tell you to do) but then I went back the following day to do battle with gravity by lifting those weights again.
And I've been doing it on a regular basis ever since. The results? I've gained well over two full inches on my biceps; nearly three inches in my chest and I've lost two inches around my waist!
I hadn't noticed that I'd gained so much muscle until the weather warmed up and I put on a shirt that had fit me last year; but now (to my surprise & delight) it is way too tight in the arms and chest!
As a result, greatly encouraged by what I had thought would take me years to achieve (yet only took a few months), I'm now watching my diet, eating better and really enjoying the road to getting back into great shape and good health.
Bottom line: Hey, if I can do it... So can you! For more helpful tips on improving your health, diet, losing weight and getting back into shape, check out Baby Boomer Depot to start you on the Road to Good Health.
PS ~ Most importantly, before you start any diet or begin an exercise program, be sure to check with your Doctor first!
A 32 year veteran of working in TV Advertising and the Film Industry, David Halver is a longtime advocate of Good Health, Diet, Fitness and Nutrition. A regular contributor to Baby Boomer Depot, David is well known for his informative articles of interest to Baby Boomers and Seniors who are seeking to regain their health, lose weight and get back into shape by eating right and to start enjoying the benefits of a more active lifestyle.



0 comments:

Post a Comment